Saturday, May 28, 2011

Vocab Lesson

As you can imagine, I'm learning a few new words here:
"bins" instead of trash cans - rolls right off my tongue now
"holiday" instead of vacation
"pupils" because students are in college over here

There are a few I have to think about:
"courgette" instead of zucchini
"aubergine"...eggplant
"sweets"...candy
"surgery"...doctor's office
"strimmer" is the weed whacker - do we call that something else

But yesterday I heard one that I doubt I'll ever use. Messages.  Heard my friend ask her husband if he would "put the messages away." ???? It's the groceries. No other kind of shopping can be called that; just groceries. No one knows why.

Here's one that confuses my friends here when I say it: coffee cake. Looked at my funny when they didn't taste any coffee in it. Nancy M. if you are reading this, thanks so much for making this and sharing the recipe. And Anne, here's how it is supposed to look! All those times I've taken out of the oven and said, "something's not right," well, here's why. This is what I'm expecting.



Anyone coming over for a piece or two or three?

1 comment:

  1. Oh the cake! THE CAKE - the one that lasts no longer than an hour or two in this house!
    Not sure we care what it looks like - it tastes out of this world.... especially cos it has no coffee. Coffee cake with no coffee - I took a while to suss this out, but now that I have.... I'm lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete