Thursday, March 31, 2011

Household items

The plan for today WAS to go to the south and see Harris today. Harris is the home of Harris Tweed (very fashionable just now as well as being very traditional). The land looks much different to Lewis. Heavy rain is forcing a postponement of the journey, though.

Instead, I'll show you some of my kitchen...the parts that are different from most US kitchens.

Are you still there? Not really exciting, but...

Here is the cause of some embarrassment on my part. Yesterday a nice man came to "fix" my oven that wouldn't work. It took him about 1 minute to locate the "trouble." A tiny dial next to the clock. Here's what I have to do to turn on the "cooker."

Flip the switch on the wall to release the electricity. The big orange one even says "cooker."


Check. And turn on the dials on the cooker.


Check. But then there's one more thing...I could have searched for hours and not thought this had anything to do with the oven. See the clock? There is a little indicator just to the left of it and it must be in the proper position for the oven to work. It wasn't. Now it is.


You can't see it, can you. I couldn't get a close enough photo. Well. Problem solved thanks to Calum, the electrician.

Have a look around the rest of the room...

Very efficient fridge tucked under the counter.


Requisite kettle.


Back to the outlets...every single outlet in the house has an on/off switch because the current here is so much stronger. Can't take any chances of it escaping and dancing around by itself!! So each time you turn something on you've really two switches to remember.


The one above is also in my kitchen. Regular outlet on the left. One for the thermostat in the middle. The thermostat on the right - controls not only heat, but when I want the hot water heated, too. Though it always seems hot whether I hit the switch or not.


I do like radiator heat and here's mine in the kitchen with a handy drying rack.

My favorite mug...belongs to the house.


Hopefully, Harris on Saturday and then I'll have some beautiful Hebridean scenery to show you.

No comments:

Post a Comment